2015 Green Award Winner
Anthony & Julie Albecker (405 Lovell Avenue)
The Albeckers replaced their 1,184 sq.ft. rambler with a high energy efficiency custom 2 story. Using green building ideas, the Albeckers increased their living space, reduced their energy costs, decreased their impervious coverage area, & saved money!
- 3-zone radiant floor heating
- HERS Rating of 38 (Energy audit midway through construction determined if any insulation was missing)
- Xcel EnergyStar Home Program Certified
- 2-stage 96% EFF Furnace
- 2-ton 16 SEER High Efficiency AC
- Heat Recovery Ventilator (air exchanger and air filtration system
- Energy Star bath fans with de-humidistats
- Insulated Concrete Form (ICF) foundation and Structurally insulated Panels (SIP) used to reduce energy consumption, conserve resources, and promote healthy indoor environment.
- Under-slab has 2" insulated foam board w/radiant floor tubing in home and garage.
- Left-over construction lumber used to make shelving and nook storage areas.
- Minimal carpet installed.
- Domestic wood flooring was pre-finished off-site and allowed extra time to off-gas.
- Spray foam insulation used at knee walls, attic, and sill perimeter.
Beneficial Design Elements
- Design complements nearby homes by combining aspects of the rambler, bungalow, and 2-story home designs.
- 3-stall piggyback garage accommodates existing driveway and fits with other 2-car garages on block.
- House design and positioning maximizes sun position and uses passive light for living areas.
- Bonus room over garage with drain and water supply will eventually be a small “green room” to grow plants.
- Universal design make it accessible to those with mobility and health issues.